Sunday 12 August 2012

Being aware is the first step and not the final one

Got periods today... so no fasting for a few days.  I remember from previous years that when others are fasting and I am not, I tend to eat much more than the people who are fasting.  Yeah, that is funny and weird. But I am was like that only ji! Awareness that I tend to overeat is of course only the first step. Boy, do I not know about being aware.

 As I tell myself all the friggin' time, knowing is not everything it is doing (or not doing, such as not over eating) that matters. A close parallel  is the super-intelligent or super-talented guy who cannot get down and get his hands dirty. Some people are very intelligent or very talented but actually accomplish very little in life because they cannot be bothered to do the hard work. As a kid, one lesson that was drilled into me was it is more important to work hard rather than be intelligent and lazy. I cannot help thinking that this lesson is applicable to the weight loss process also. It is not enough to simply know that eating less and moving more leads to weight loss, it is important to actually practice it.

The next step is this:

what can I do better today and the next couple of days? Some mini-resolutions.

1) Stay COMPLETELY off fried stuff
2) No salted cashew nuts
3) Go back to my exercise regimen - now that is not going to be easy. I want to sleep in (already, even as I write this, a part of me wants to delete the doing exercise part, yeah the dreaded AeD or Anti-exercise demon has begun his rampage). I have not exercised in nearly a month now, so I will start with the 20 mins programme by Leslie Sansone.
4) When you fry, remind yourself that these things are meant for people who have spent the day in Ibadah, by fasting and praying
5) Do not eat with others at Iftaar. Set up the table and move away, so I am not tempted. If fried stuff is left over, put it out of sight immediately (act on autopilot here - do not wait for the  OeD or Overeating demon to raise her head)
6) Pray, pray, pray that all the above works and you don't mess up whatever benefits (that light ooh la la feeling in the stomach) you have gained.

I will try to be accountable and come back and post here about my success in following the above. I can be very disciplined and I am not going to let a few days of P get in the way of my journey towards good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment