Saturday 11 August 2012

Health and fitness: An Islamic perspective


O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint. (Quran 2:183)

Muslims are called up on to follow the example set by the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH). There is a hadith attributed to the beloved Prophet (PBUH), which is highly relevant for weight loss and health.

"The Prophet (s) also said that one third of the stomach is for food, the second third is for water, and the last third is for air."

My previous posts have shown that I am woefully behind in following the above. I fill up my stomach to the point where I feel almost ill as I am so very full. If I can restrain myself from eating and drinking during the day, surely I can restrain myself from going on an eating spree. But somehow, old habits die hard. There have been days when I consider fasting a licence to anything and everything in front of me. Though I have (Alhamdulillah = praise be to Allah) been good 80% of the time with my eating this Ramadan, it is still a struggle. I pray for discipline in eating (and not just in eating, but since this is a weight loss blog, I will focus on that here).






No comments:

Post a Comment