Wednesday 15 August 2012

Phipty Phipty: Update on previous post

The writer Ramachandra Guha recently said his verdict would be phiphty-phiphty (which he in turn borrowed from  the comedian Johnny Walker) about the state of Indian democracy. Phipty-Phipty is my verdict on the previous three days of weight loss effort.

 To recap, this was my plan


1) Stay COMPLETELY off fried stuff
2) No salted cashew nuts
3) Go back to my exercise regimen - now that is not going to be easy. I want to sleep in (already, even as I write this, a part of me wants to delete the doing exercise part, yeah the dreaded AeD or Anti-exercise demon has begun his rampage). I have not exercised in nearly a month now, so I will start with the 20 mins programme by Leslie Sansone.
4) When you fry, remind yourself that these things are meant for people who have spent the day in Ibadah, by fasting and praying
5) Do not eat with others at Iftaar. Set up the table and move away, so I am not tempted. If fried stuff is left over, put it out of sight immediately (act on autopilot here - do not wait for the  OeD or Overeating demon to raise her head)
6) Pray, pray, pray that all the above works and you don't mess up whatever benefits (that light ooh la la feeling in the stomach) you have gained.

**********************************************************************************


1) I managed not to eat fried stuff most of the time, barring one veg cutlet and one baked patty (though it was baked, it was very greasy, so it was as bad as being fried) yesterday.
2) 1.5 salted cashew nuts. Today I even broke a cashew nut into half because I told myself it would simply not do to make lofty proclamations here and then not follow up.
3)  On Monday, I had stomach cramps which is very unusual, so could not exercise. But I did walk 4 kms at moderate pace yesterday. Unfortunately, I was wearing bad shoes. For breakfast, I ate a cutlet, a patty and drank a sharjah shake and for lunch I had 2 tandoori roties, a katori of rice, a katori of palak and a katori of daal at a north Indian restaurant so I decided I am going to burn the calories by walking everywhere rather than take any form of transport. I was so tired at the end of day. Today, I was too lazy (how I wish I could switch of the laziness button)
4) I did not have to fry anything for iftaar. There was stuff that people sent over. So one source of temptation was thereby avoided.
5)No mindless eating at Iftaar. I left the iftaar table to people who are fasting.
6) Yes, I prayed but not so much as I should to enlist God's blessings in this endeavour.


Yesterday I was out from early morning till almost sunset. I left home without eating and so by 11 am I was famished. The bakery I went to did not have any healthy options. They do a half-decent veg sandwich (half-decent because it has a bit of mayo and it is white bread), but they did not have that:-(. I should have opted for a coffee rather than the calorie loaded sharjah shake, but I convinced myself that I needed sharjah shake since I was thirsty. Guess what? I continued to be thirsty even after drinking that calorie-laden sharjah shake. Note to self: Plain old H20 is your best bet when you are thirsty. Yesterday, in the evening, I ate more carbs than I should. Second note to self: Do not eat mindlessly while you are doing other things, grab a plate, sit down and concentrate on eating

 Today was better. I met an old friend for breakfast in the morning at a restaurant nearby. I had idlies instead of dosas and poori which were also on the menu.  For lunch, I had three small pieces of bread (it is the faux-whole wheat we get here) and an egg omlette along with 1 cup of papaya. For dinner I am going to have 1/2 cup of papaya, since I have already had an extra cup of coffee, a piece of steamed tapioca with coconut chutney and 3 small pieces of mangoes (we get mangoes here in Kerala even in late August,  Delhites  please turn green with envy:-))

All in all, it has really been phipty=phipty:-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment