Friday 27 July 2012

pazham pori for edayathazham

sehri:  1 pazham pori (fried Kerala banana), 1 glass mango juice ~1/2 cup rice, red bean thoran, theeyal, pineapple moru kuttan (pineapple in yoghut gravy) 1 coffee w/o sugar.

Yesterday evening I bought delicious pazham pori. Usually  I am not a big fan of reztaurant/thattukada/dhaba-bought pazham pori and prefer to fry it at home. Instead of using my former BFF maida I use rice flour to increase the nutrient quotient when I make it at home.

 But there is a place near my house where the pazham pori is delicious. Even if the pazham (banana) is not the delicious Keralite nenthrapazham which is soft but the thicker and denser version from Tamil Nadu, there is something about this batter which makes this particular pazham pori delicious. I have not yet figured out what it is about the batter that makes it so delicious. The pazham pori is completely covered in batter and the covering once it is fried has a smooth silk-like appearance,. So, anyway I told myself that I could have one for sehri/edayathazham.  It tasted yum. This is one treat for which it is worth allocating some calories. I find it very difficult to avoid fried food completely when others are eating it at nombuthura/iftaar. So, maybe I will allow myself to have  2 pieces of fried stuff?? Today I am going to bake samosas. I used to have baked samosas last year during ramadan and they turned out quite good. Of course, they are not like the fried ones, but at least the calories are lesser.

UPDATE: after all the resolutions to restrict my fried item intake, I had 3 fried items tonight. I think it was a question of "if it is around on the table, I will eat" and the "last one syndrome". There was one pazham pori, one bonda and one samosa left over and what did I do? I ate them all.... aaaargh. Btw, the baked samosas were not that good. The samosas skin had a very dry texture which I didn't like.

1 potato bonda, 1 fried beef samosa, 1 pazham pori, 2 bread toasts, 3 cabbage and egg samosas baked,  1njali poovan plantain, less than a handful of grapes, 10 SALTED CAHSEW NUTS, 4 DATES 


what do I want to do now? Go and bang my head against a wall. Do I feel like a hopeless, sill and stupid? You bet. Seriously, I am going to try again and again..(note to self: don't even utter word pazham pori again until semblance of normalcy in eating is restored for a while!)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment