Monday 9 July 2012

Instant noodle pot as breakfast?


Today’s weight: 79.7 kgs (overall 0.5 kgs down) Yay! Yay! Yay! I am so proud of myself and so thankful to my body.  Despite slipping up, it did not let me down.

 Morning: 1 cup of coffee without sugar and 1.25 kaipathiri, 1  steamed banana (nenthrapazham)

Lunch: 1 cup salad (watermelon, cucumber and pear), 2 njalipoovan (plantain) and I cup of pasta and tuna with onion cooked in 2tsp olive oil

1 coffee w/o sugar, 1 marie biscuit and 20 unsalted roasted peanuts, 2 slivers of nenthrapazham

Dinner: 1 dry chapathi and 1/2 cup chana cooked in 3 tsp oil, 1/2 cup watermelon and pear salad, 1 small piece of chicken from chilli chicken dish.

Exercise:  45 mins of leslie sansone 3 mile walk, 3 mins of  ski step workout
50 air cycling and 25 crunches

I resisted pazham pori. I made pazham pori in the evening but did not have it <GOOD JOB>

I am one person who cannot skip breakfast. I feel FAMISHED by 11 am if I have not eaten anything in the morning.   A few years back, I used to eat instant noodles for breakfast every single day for 7 months. I lived in a paying guest accommodation (PG).   As the only appliance I was allowed to have in my room was a small kettle, I used to buy  instant pot noodles that I could cook just by adding boiling water.  For dinner, I used to buy tawa roti and subji  from the dhaba nearby and have it in my room. The rotis were dry roasted, so no oil there and the subji was almost never too greasy.  Importantly for me, it tasted pretty decent.  As much as I would have loved to eat this in the morning also, it was not an option as the dhaba opened late in the morning when I would have already left for work.  I usually had a masala dosa or thali for lunch.  At least twice a week, I would eat samosas, jalebis, pie slices, ice creams, cakes and croissants with sweet chai or cafe latte in the evening   By the time I moved out of the PG, I had gained 5 kilos.  The only silver lining was that I used to walk to and from work, a distance of 3 kms at a slow-moderate pace.

I knew very well that I was sabotaging my health with this diet (yeah... knowing is rarely enough on its own...).  Almost every day I would vow to myself to start dieting and exercising from the next day, even buy health magazines to help aid me.  But come morning, I would dig into my instant noodles and all the resolutions would be happily forgotten only to be revived by night.  Thankfully, I left that PG in 7 months and moved to an apartment where I could cook my own meals.

Looking back I think I was very unhappy in that PG and should have moved out at the first opportunity. I had started work at this new place, did not know many people in the city and was trying hard to adjust. So, I let things slide on the food front, rather than addressing other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment