Monday 30 July 2012

sunday recap

I got up on Sunday morning with not much time left for fajr adhan which is when we begin fasting. I quickly had some rice, rasam and mung beans mezhukkuparatti and managed to have one coffee without sugar. Felt quite full and chided myself for not eating veggies.

 In the evening to break the fast,  I had a cup and half of papaya and plantain. 2 dates and 1 piece of bread toast with peanut butter and onion and tomato masala sandwich filling that was leftover along  with 4-5 glasses of water. After the Maghrib prayer I had 2 toasted bread sandwiches with onion and tomato masala filling and another date and 2 coffees without sugar. I also cut up some cucumber and carrot for edayathazham.

 I have sort of figured out that what my body needs when I break the fast is no a carb overload, but hydration - in the form of water. I also need a light pick-me-up which the fruit bowl provides. For that carb kick, if I eat a piece of toast, I am done for the time until I finish maghrib. Lets see how long this "good me" lasts.

I realise  that the bread is made with maida, which is not a healthy choice. I cannot find whole wheat bread in my area and I have my doubts whether the whole wheat bread we get here is really whole wheat. It tastes too soft and smooth to be the full-of-fibre whole wheat. But, when I am faced with eating fried items and sugary items, I think to eat three pieces of bread is ok, at least for this month of fasting.

Today morning for edayathazham I had 1 cup of raw veggies and 1/2 of rice with mung (cherupayar) mezhukkuparatti and rasam along with a tiny portion of coconut chutney.

Yesterday I went out to buy some groceries and this being Ramadan, so many bakeries have set up makeshift counters where they sell samosas, unnakkaya, tharikanji and cutlets. It surprised me that I was put off by them. All I could think of was on these lines , "it is probably cooked in reheated oil", "why do all these samosas have that over-burnt look?", "I am sorry for people who cannot eat home-cooked food" etc etc. I used to hog bakery-bought food like there was no tomorrow, so I am kind of surprised at the change in attitude.




No comments:

Post a Comment